Crispy, fragrant, roasted goose is a wonderful holiday treat. This year we decided to give it a try and everyone agreed that goose should become a new holiday tradition in our family. We purchased our goose from Moose Manor Farms, LLC. It was freshly butchered a few days before Christmas. Picking up the goose we could see how well all of the birds are raised. Moose Manor Farms also has pigs, so we may have to check them out later.
This recipe is filled with aromatic spices, herbs and citrus that flavor the goose through every bite. By scoring the skin of the goose, the fat drips away while it is cooking — we were warned by some other cooks that goose could be too greasy. Be sure to save the fat that drips off and use it later for frying potatoes or eggs.
Yield 8 to 10 servings
This recipe is very simple, but offers delicious results. It is best to prepare the goose a day before you plan to roast it, allowing the rub to marinate into the bird.
- 9 to 10 lb goose
- 3 oranges
- 3 lemons
- 3 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 5 tbsp of light honey
- 1 tbsp of coarse sea salt
- Sprigs of sage, thyme (for inside the bird as well as garnish)
- Check the inside of the bird and remove any giblets or pads of fat. Using the tip of a sharp knife, lightly score the breast and leg skin in a criss-cross. This helps the fat to render down more quickly during roasting. You should have a goose covered in small diamond shapes. Cut deep enough to reach the fat under the skin, but not deep enough to reach the meat. If you see red, you are cutting too deep.
- Grate the zest from the oranges and lemons. Using a mortar and pestle, mix with 1 tbsp of coarse sea salt, the five-spice powder and pepper to taste. This will yield a nice paste. Season the cavity of the goose generously with salt and pepper, then rub the citrus mix well into the skin and sprinkle some inside the cavity.
- Cut the zested fruit in half and stuff the fruit and the herb sprigs inside the bird and set aside for at least 15 mins. This can be done up to a day ahead and kept refrigerated.
- Allow the goose to come to room temperature before placing in the oven, about two hours. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roast for the goose for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375 degrees. When you turn down the oven, drizzle the goose with honey.
- Every 20 mins or so, baste the bird with the pan juices, then pour off the fat through a sieve into a large heatproof bowl . You will end up with at least a cup or two of delicious fat – save this for the potatoes. At the end of the cooking time, leave the goose to rest for at least 30 mins, covered loosely with foil. You can estimate cooking the bird 15 minutes for every two pounds.
P.S. Is it “roast” or “roasted” goose? For a discussion on the subject, click here. (DH)♦