We very much enjoyed the stuffed ham we got from Thompson’s Seafood Catering & Market for one of our Christmas meals (the other meal featured goose). The greens were spicy and the ham had a flavor that combined the ham’s sweetness with the spices of the greens. When my wife and I, along with our two guests, sat down to dinner, none of us had ever had the dish before (two of us were raised here, and the other two have spent many years in Maryland), but everyone enjoyed it.
While I could cobble together my own version of a stuffed ham recipe, there are plenty of them out there on the Internet. Besides which, I have some thoughts about how I can adapt this dish for our personal use. The main reason for not specifically following one of the existing recipes is that a whole ham is awfully big, and far more than we need or can easily use. We only got half a ham at Christmas. There were still a lot of leftovers. So, if and when I come up with my own version, I’ll be sure to post the recipe and photos here.
Southern Maryland stuffed ham recipes
Here are links to articles with a variety of stuffed ham recipes.
- A Taste of History with Joyce White, Maryland Stuffed Ham: A St. Mary’s County Tradition (contains several recipes)
- Fairmont Moments, Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham (contains one recipe)
- Hearth Cook, Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham (contains one recipe)
- Southern Maryland Online, Tradition of Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham Flourishes (includes a link to a couple recipes)
- The Washington Post, A Stuffed Ham to Call Our Own (contains one recipe)
- The Washington Times, Maryland’s ham tradition (contains one recipe)
Places to get Southern Maryland stuffed ham
Availability varies; many of these places will only make the dish at certain times of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are typical), so please contact them for specifics. Click here to see all of these places on a map in our Food & Drink Business Directory.
- Bowen’s Grocery in Huntingtown, Calvert County
- Brandy Farms in Gambrills, Anne Arundel County
- Chaptico Market & Deli in Chaptico, St. Mary’s County
- Gray Brothers Market, Marbury, Charles County
- Linda’s Cafe, Leonardtown, St. Mary’s County
- McKay’s Supermarkets in Charlotte Hall, Hollywood, and Leonardtown, St. Mary’s County
- Murphy’s Town and Country Market in Avenue, St. Mary’s County
- Nick’s of Calvert in Prince Frederick, Calvert County
- Nick’s of Clinton in Waldorf, Charles County
- Old Maryland Grill in College Park, Prince George’s County
- Ole McDonnell’s Country Store in Newburg, Charles County
- Rita B. Catering in Mechanicsville, St. Mary’s County
- Roland’s of Chesapeake Station in Chesapeake Beach, Calvert County
- St. Inigoes General Store, in St. Inigoes, St. Mary’s County
- St. Mary’s Landing Restaurant in Charlotte Hall, St. Mary’s County
- The Rex, in Leonardtown, St. Mary’s County
- Thompson’s Seafood Catering & Market in La Plata, Charles County
- WJ Dent & Sons in Tall Timbers, St. Mary’s County
If you know of other places where stuffed ham is available, please let us know.
Originally published on January 5, 2017, this article was updated on November 1, 2017. We added two businesses to the list of places where stuffed ham is available. ♦